Select Page

City of Eaton Rapids Elections

Upcoming Elections in the City of Eaton Rapids:

  • August 4, 2020 State Primary Election
  • November 3, 2020 General Election

Elections in Eaton Rapids are held at the Public Safety Building at 101 Line Street. 

You can find the most updated information about voter registration, absentee ballots, as well as check your registration status and polling location at the Michigan Voter Information Center. You can also call the City Clerk for more information.

Absentee Ballot

Who is Eligible for an Absent Voter Ballot
Due to the passage of the statewide ballot proposal 18-3 in November, all eligible and registered voters in Michigan may now request an absent voter ballot without providing a reason.

Requesting an Absent Voter Ballot
Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to the City Clerk. You must request an absent voter ballot by mailing the application, large print application, a letter, a postcard, or a pre-printed application form. Requests to have an absent voter ballot mailed to you must be received by the Clerk no later than 5 p.m. the Friday before the election.

Once your request is received the Clerk, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued. You must be a registered voter to receive an absent voter ballot. Requests for absent voter ballots are processed immediately. Absent voter ballots may be issued to you at your home address or any address outside of your city or township of residence.

After receiving your absent voter ballot, you have until 8 p.m. on election day to complete the ballot and return it to the Clerk’s office. Your ballot will not be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and matches your signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope. Only you, a family member or person residing in your household, a mail carrier, or election official is authorized to deliver your signed absent voter ballot to the Clerk’s office.

If an emergency, such as a sudden illness or family death prevents you from reaching the polls on election day, you may request an emergency absent voter ballot. Requests for an emergency ballot must be submitted after the deadline for regular absent voter ballots has passed but before 4 p.m. on election day. The emergency must have occurred at a time which made it impossible for you to apply for a regular absent voter ballot. Please contact the City Clerk for more information about emergency absent voter ballots.

Precinct Inspectors

The City of Eaton Rapids is split into three precincts for election purposes.

Precinct Inspectors are limited to working on designated election days in the City of Eaton Rapids. 

Precinct inspectors are people who are paid to assist voters at the polls on Election Day. Registered voters interested in serving as election inspectors must submit an election inspector application to their local clerk. In addition to their name, address and date of birth, applicants must include their political party preference and qualifications to fill the position such as education or experience.

A precinct inspector must be a registered voter of the state. They cannot be a challenger, candidate, member of a candidate’s immediate family, or a member of the local Board of Canvassers. Anyone convicted of a felony or an election crime may not serve.

Election Workers must be able to work closely with others, assemble simple voting stations, read and write legibly in the English language, perform simple math calculations, follow instructions provided by the Precinct Chairperson and possess inter-personal skills to work with a diverse community population.  Experience using a computer with a windows based format is helpful.

Attendance at an Educational Training program is mandatory prior to working an election.

Applications can be found here or picked up in the Clerk’s office during regular Business Hours.  For additional information call the City Clerk’s Office at (517) 663-8118.

Permanent Absent Voters

Never miss an election againSign up for the permanent absent voter list!

You will automatically receive an absent voter application for every election.  Click here for the Application for the Permanent Absent Voter.

Voter Registration

How do I register to vote?

To register to vote you must be….

  • A U.S. citizen
  • At least 18 years old by Election Day
  • A resident of Michigan
  • A resident of Eaton Rapids

Where:  You can register to vote for federal, state, and local elections by mail; at your county, city, or township clerk’s office; or by visiting any Secretary of State branch office.

In addition, the following state agencies offer voter registration services to their clients:  Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health and the Department of Career Development. Military recruitment centers also provide voter registration services.

When:  You must register at least 15 days before the election.  This gives the clerk time to process the forms and send you a Voter Identification Card.  You must also re-register to vote whenever you move to a new city. 

If you fail to register 15 days in advance, you can  register and vote in-person and same day at your polling location. However, there are additional requirements for voting. You must bring a valid form of photo I.D. and Proof of Residency with you to the polling place.

How:  If you move within a city, you must update your address.  This can be handled through your local clerk, at a Secretary of State branch office, by mail or at any other location where voter registrations are accepted.  Michigan voters must use the same residential address for voter registration and driver’s license purposes.  Consequently, if you submit a driver’s license address change, it will be applied to your voter registration.  Similarly, if you submit a voter registration address change, it will be applied to your driver’s license.

First-time voter:  If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate.  This requirement does not apply if (1) you personally hand deliver the mail registration form to your county, or city clerk’s office instead of mailing the form (2) you are 60 years of age or more (3) you are disabled or (4) you are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

If you have never voted in Michgian and register by mail, you may also be subject to a new identification requirement provided under federal law.  The identification requirement is explained on the mail-in registration form.

Moving:  Whenever you move to a new city, you must re-reigster to vote.  If you move within a city, you must udpate your address.  This can be handled through your local clerk, at a Secretary of State branch office, or by mail.  Michigan voters must use the same residential address for voter registration and driver’s license purposes.  Consequently, if you submit a driver’s license address change, it will be applied to your voter registration.  Similarly, if you submit a voter registration address change, it will be applied to your driver’s license.

Mail-in Forms:  A mail-in voter register form is available at the Secretary of State’s web site.  Mail the completed form to the address indicated on the form.  If you register by mail, you must vote in person at your assigned precinct the first time you vote, unless you are:

  • disabled as defined by state law
  • 60 years of age or older
  • temporarily residing overseas.

For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 200 S. Main Street, (517) 663-8118.

Find Us On Facebook!

Last Chance to Register for the Youth Summer Ball Program!Registration Closes tonight, 5/7.LAST CHANCE TO REGISTERRegistration Closes TONIGHT 5/7 at 11:45PM⚾️🥎HOW TO REGISTER:1. Go to cityofeatonrapids.sportngin.com2. Click on "2021 Youth Baseball, Softball & T-Ball"3. Create an account or Log-in then follow on-screen prompts🥎⚾️Cost- $45/player (Player does not have current Parks & Rec Jersey)- $35/player (Player already has current Parks & Rec Jersey)*MUST HAVE RED/WHITE PARKS & RECREATION JERSEY TO PARTICIPATE*League Information- 1st Year T-Ball (COED): PreK-Kindergarten- 2nd Year T-Ball (COED): Kindergarten-1st Grade- Machine Pitch (Baseball/Softball): 2nd-3rd Grade- Minor League (Baseball/Softball): 4th-5th Grade- Major League (Baseball/Softball): 6th-8th Grade1st Year T-Ball will be Monday/Wednesday2nd Year T-Ball will be Tuesday/ThursdayAll Softball will be Monday/WednesdayAll Baseball will be Tuesday/Thursday⚾️🥎Please contact Corey Cagle at or 517-663-8118 with any questions or concerns! ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook